Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2006 13:48:14 +0000

Robin's unusual eye question
My question was about the sudden appearance of sunbursts around every light when driving after dark at 6:00 Pm Fri.  Every light had a very large sunburst the color of the light- white lights had white sunbursts, green lights had green sunbursts, red lights had red sunbursts. Sunbursts were the size of a three story building and I couldn't see the things I needed to see to drive.   Small LCD lights such as the lights on a computer or answering phone had small cirles of light or double circles and these also happen during the day.. Vision is fine during the day except for small circles around LCD lights (20/30 Left and 20/40 Right).  I did have night blindness a few years ago until I was on a gluten free diet for 18 months but that is pretty much resolved now and my vitamin A is back to a good level. I saw the ophthalmologist mid afternoon on Sat.  When he walked into the room, he said he immediately thinks corneal edema with a story like mine. On his exam,  I do have corneal edema
in both eyes and macular edema in the right eye. The pressure in both eyes is fine at 12. He did photographs of the inside of the eye, a computerized visual field test, a comprehensive eye exam with dilation and detailed medical history especially all that happened in the last year. It is an eye emergency and he said it is a good thing I called the office Sat AM as if this progressed it could cause vision loss.  He said because of the Addison's disease and the fluid and electrolyte imbalances along with the other auto immune things going on (adrenal insufficiency, pituitary insufficiency, Hasimoto's autoimmune thyroiditis, celiac disease) to complicate things that the fluid in the eyes is not the way it is supposed to be.  It will need to be watched closely as it can cause vision loss if it progresses.  He gave me some drops to use every two hours that will help return the fluid balance to the eyes.  I have another appt for next Sat to re-evalute and instructions to call if eyes ge
t any worse.  I searched on Yahoo using  "eye symptoms halo" and there was an eye symptom site which was listed first and many other sites.  It listed about 200 eye symptoms and conditions that go with them.  All the things mentioned below were listed except corneal edema and macular edema and mercury poisoning.  My toxic element screen showed all the toxic elements either low or undetectable. I do not have cataracts that may cause sunbursts.
1.  I had the exact problem.  It is a retina problem caused by not absorbing Vit A.  See a neuroophthalmologist.
2. Same thing happened to me when cataracts were developing.  Had surgery and the problem resolved.
3.  Have cataracts in both eyes causing sunbursts around lights at night.  Eye MD said no driving at night as I will not have to have surgery for quite a while.  I could have written your message.
4.  I experience sunbursts around lights at night and was told it was night blindness.  I only drive at night when it is an emergency circumstance.  I call it Stevie Wondering at the wheel.  I also do not have great depth perception in the dark or near dark.  Eyesight is very good in daylight. I was diagnosed with celiac 6 years ago and experienced edema of organs and anemia.  Most has resolved since gluten free.  I was hoping my eyesight would get better at night but no change.
5.  Check into mercury poisoning.  Try noamalgam.com
6.  May be totally unrelated but I notice red lights when eyes are closed and found out I have diabetes.
7.  Have sunbursts-has cataracts that need to be removed.
8.  Sounds like a migraine aura.  I had them.  Neurologist and ophthalmologist couldn't explain.  My GP theorized they were triggered by hormones.  I was in perimenopause.  Sunbursts disappeared when I was truly in menopause.
  Thanks for all the responses.  I am so grateful to have the celiac site and the addison's site.
Robin in Massachusetts