From:
Harlene Caroline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:30:37 -0400

Listmates,

Summer heat has arrived in Boston.  As I start my first summer as a
celiac, I am wondering about former favorites.  Does anyone have an
alternative for making tabouli? It is a cold salad usuallly made with
bulgar (cracked wheat), lemon juice, parsely, olive oil, tomatoes.  I
used to like it with chopped cucumbers and some shredded red cabbage.
Everything is gf except the cracked wheat.  What could be substituted?
Are there any GF products that mimic the consistency of bulgar?

When I was diagnosed, I joined both the Celiac Disease Foundation (CDF)
and CSA/USA.  As on several other points, I noticed that there is a
different opinion about the gluten status of gin (as in gin and tonics).
CDF clearly lists it as GF; CSA does not.  Can anyone clarify what the
science or reasoning is on both sides?

Anyone have some current suggestions about travel on Cape Cod? Location
of health food stores and good restaurants to eat gluten free.  I
checked the archives but didn't really find anything. Luckily, lobster
and corn on the cob are gluten free!

thanks, I will summarize.

Harlene