From:
Jessica R Iselin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica R Iselin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 16:34:40 -0500

Thank you all so much for your insight on this matter. All of the messages
I received where positive and very helpful.

My original post had to do with the Kaiser Permenente denying coverage for
a perfectly healthy 22-year-old with celiac disease. Most people on the
list who have dealt with Kaiser told me about their horrible experiences
with them and that I should find a different insurance company, which I am
in the process of doing.

Many said that the word "disease" should be omitted from the application
and replaced with intolerance or allergy. I too believe that it wouldn't
be a lie if I were to just state "allergic to wheat, rye, oats and
barley".

Many people told me to write them a letter in hopes of educating them and
that I insist on a copy of the medical review to make sure that Celiac was
the reason they turned me down. I was also told to then write to my
state's Insurance Commissioner, Insurance Board, State Rep., Senator, etc.

Oh, and to answer some people's questions: 1) since my health insurance
under my parent's plan expired, I have been continuing through Cobra
(which
is way too expensive). There has been no break in my coverage. 2) I was
diagnosed at age 2 and then told by a gastro. that I was "cured" at age
10. I became very sick in my late teens and went back on the gluten-free
diet at age 20. I was rediagnosed by blood test at 21 (obviously wasn't
being strict enough) and had a biopsy last summer which showed almost
complete healing.

I will be sure to keep you all updated on my findings.

Here are some thought provoking quotes from the responses:

1) No, you are not overreacting. I worked for a dozen years in the medical
insurance field and angry the whole time.
Companies only want to insure healthy folks, not those with any kind of
health
problem. If you have the potential for being ill, then they might have to
pay
out
money for a claim. Their role is to bring money in, not to pay it out to
insurers.

2) What's the  possibility  that you don't have to tell them if they don't
ask?

3) You could say you are allergic to: wheat, rye,
barley,
and oats. That is completely true, but does not mention "Celiac Disease".
The
word
"disease" might be a red flag for them.

4) I work in health insurance in WA state - quite
difficult at times.  In this state there is a 13 page
health questionnaire that needs to be completed and
celiac is one of the questions.  The answers are then
scored and celiac is 200 points - have to over 330 for
high risk to apply.

5) I had one "close call" on this where the company nurse at a
potential employer was planning on advising that they not hire me because
of
Celiac.  Luckily, I discovered this during the review with her and was
able
to clarify what Celiac is and the fact that it is a completely manageable
disease.

Thanks again,
Jessica
Boulder, Co