From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:51:25 EDT

I would like to elaborate on Danna's comments in regard to calling
manufacturers to ask if a product contains gluten.

When you call manufacturers, I recommend you DO NOT ask about GLUTEN.
Instead, ask if their product contains any Wheat, Rye, Barley, Oats, or any
derivatives of these items. This then pins it down to the exact problem area
and allows no chance of confusion with glutinous rice, or other products.
Remember, it is the Gliadin of wheat, rye, barley, and possibly oats that are
the problem.

Also, be aware of belt dusting for some products. You may need to inquire
what is used there.

Some people get gluten confused with glucose, when they first hear the word.
This is usually because they have not heard about gluten and they have heard
about diabetes and glucose. It just requires more time to explain to them,
but you normally have a ready listener.

As Danna said, keep up the great work.

Nancy