From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 18:40:25 PDT

I have had two people contact me recently about the grain Farro or Faro on
the basis of a New York Times article  on the grain that stated that, "Farro
is not wheat, but a plant and grain all its own."

I thought that farro was wheat and a check with an Italian colleague
resulted in the information that Farro is in fact wheat.  It is
traditionally Triticum dicoccum, but spelt is often being sold as Farro
these days.  In either case, Farro would not be suitable for people who have
celiac disease.

Also, I heard a presentation at a recent meeting in which the speaker
reported that quinoa and amaranth were both high in oxalates, almost as high
in oxalates as spinach.  The speaker also indicated that this might cause
gastrointestinal problems in very young children.  I don't know what
research this is based on, it was new to me, and I tried to find the speaker
later in the meeting to ask him about the source of this information, but I
was not successful in finding him.  Accordingly, I pass on the information
with no further comment.  Although I suspect his analyses are correct, I
don't know if his information about foods high in oxalate possibly causing
gastrointestinal problems for young children is correct.

Don Kasarda
Albany, CA