From:
Maureen O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maureen O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2016 15:17:28 -0400

I’ve received a lot of responses to my previous post about snarky comments on gluten on TV, and I’ll summarize those later. But now I want to bring the group’s attention to an even worse example: people spitting out gluten-free pasta, almost vomiting it out, as if that were funny. It was brought to my attention by one of the people who responded to my previous post.

The scene is about 19 minutes into:
http://www.cbs.com/shows/kevin-can-wait/video/57CA9EE6-4A72-EF4F-4B62-D26A3DEA7B51/kevin-can-wait-kevin-s-good-story/ <http://www.cbs.com/shows/kevin-can-wait/video/57CA9EE6-4A72-EF4F-4B62-D26A3DEA7B51/kevin-can-wait-kevin-s-good-story/>

The form to submit feedback to CBS is at:

https://cbsi.secure.force.com/CBSi/sitefeedback2?template=cbsent15&referer=cbs.com/ent&categories=CBS_Entertainment:CBS_Entertainment&cfs=SFS_FT&data= <https://cbsi.secure.force.com/CBSi/sitefeedback2?template=cbsent15&referer=cbs.com/ent&categories=CBS_Entertainment:CBS_Entertainment&cfs=SFS_FT&data=>

On social media, the show is @KevinCanWaitCBS <https://twitter.com/KevinCanWaitCBS> on Twitter, and the pasta spitting scene is actually there in a video clip, and the site describes it as “fun”. I don’t agree.

Some of the comments I’ve received to my first note about this said any mention of gluten-free is good news. I could not disagree more: ridiculing both the diet and the food, playing into the notion that gluten-free is a “fad” instead of a necessity, make it harder for those of us with celiac disease to be taken seriously. I don’t eat GF because “it’s trendy” - I do it to stay alive.

If you believe the ridiculing celiacs and the gluten-free diet is harmful and hurtful, I encourage you to contact those producing, writing and broadcasting the shows that do so.

Maureen