From:
"C.E. Osborn" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
C.E. Osborn
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:24:44 -0700

Hello everyone,
      I had varying responses regarding the wheat
sprout.
-------

Uninformed dietitian.  Theoretically the storage
proteins(gluten) would
change but do they all is the burning question?
I'm a dietitian with gluten intolerance and I wouldn't
touch wheat
sprouts.

---------------
I think the key word is "possibly", and that's why
most of us
wouldn't take the chance.  It's true that the wheat
*plant* (stalk,
leaves) doesn't contain gluten - just the seed
(grain).  But at what
point does the sprout lose all of the "stuff" the seed
had?  For me,
it's too close to call, so I stay away from it.  If I
really saw
something that conclusively showed at what point there
was no
gluten, I might reconsider, but I've never seen
anything that
satisfied me.

---------------
IF the ground where wheat is grown can be
contaminated, then it stands
to reason
that sprouts are a no-no.  My philosophy is "if in
doubt....NO"

--------------
Most sprouted wheat still has gluten or gluten
peptides remaining.
Although
the sprouting begins enzymatic action that starts to
break down the
gluten
(a storage protein for the plant) into peptides and
even amino acids.
Generally this is not a complete process for sprouts
used in foods so
some
active peptides (active in celiac disease) remain.  I
don't know
anything
about Bioguard specifically, but I would be cautious
about it until the
company can say on what basis they are claiming
"gluten-free."  For
example,
how have they tested this?

----------------
Absolutely not.
While gluten is the "food" used by the sprouting seed
in it's growth,
it
is very very doubtful that enough of it is used up to
be benign to us.
Eating one sprout probably won't kill you.  But the
concentration in
a handful of sprouts, or even a slice of wheat sprout
bread will most
assuredly make you sick.

-------------------
Not true! The gluten protein is in the wheat as a
seed/grain, will be
there as a sprout and as wheatgrass. Suggest this idea
to your
dietitian
and see what her reasoning is.

Apparently WHEATGRASS is OK.
I posted info recently about ReBAR vegetable bars,
which contain
wheatgrass.
The label says Gluten-Free and was approved by the
Canadian government
who
are usually pretty picky.
Some listservers disagreed with me - said they would
NEVER eat
wheatgrass.
Personally, I think it's OK and I do not react.

I think that I will just stay away from it just to be
safe...

Chris in Albuquerque, NM

=====
Always here, Never Lost