From:
The Sheffers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 15:33:48 -0500

Hi all,

I came across a recent legal case concerning an Israeli (female) CD
soldier.  I think it may be of interest to some of our list readers.

The soldier was drafted to the army at the age of 18.  Up to that
time she did not know she had celiac.  During her military service,
due to a change in her eating habits, including a large intake of
sandwiches (containing gluten of course), her celiac was triggered.

The court accepted the soldier's argument that the army was not acting
responsibly to her, as well to the other soldiers who served with her,
by not providing her with proper, regular and nutritious meals. The
court added that the army's conduct was the main cause to the outbreak
of the disease, in spite of the fact that it is a hereditary disease.
The court therefore ruled that the soldier is to be recognized as
disabled due to her military service and is entitled to
recompensation from the army.

Yours,

Rakefet
From The Home of Rakefet & Eyal Sheffer
9 Hagefen st. Ramat-Gan 52546.  ISRAEL.
Tel/Fax ++972-3-7518644 Email: [log in to unmask]