From:
Terri Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terri Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:10:39 -0400

I had a small response to my posting about the cross contamination of
soybeans both in the field and the carriers and the plants, most
comenting that soy might be causing their discomfort. The answers are
as follows:

Contamination is an issue for soy, quinoa, and and all our gf grains.
As one who reacts not only as a celiac, but also to glutens by touch,
I can tell you many foods are contaminated.  You cannot be paranoid
about it, but if you suspect you are reacting, the easiest thing to do
is to go completely to a fresh fruits and veggies diet for awhile that
you make from scratch yourself (and wash the produce well using a gf
produce wash or original Dawn dish washing liquid, rinsing off very
well.)  Then you can slowly add back other foods when you are feeling
better, one at a time, to be sure you are not getting constant
contamination.  You will notice I did not mention using fresh meats.
Fresh meats are rarely contaminated, but they can be
contaminated--especially if you buy them from a local butcher.  They
can also be contaminated during butchering at any slaughterhouse if
the stomach contents gets spilled onto the meat--this happens rarely
but it does happen.  Ground meat is more likely to be contaminated
than larger pieces.If contamination is an issue for you, also be
careful about manufactured broths and soups.  From my experience, none
of these are truly safe unless made in a dedicated gf facility.

Soy is ubiquitous but it is possible to get along fine without it.
Cecelia's Marketplace.com has a terrific little book that list foods
and products that are free of gluten, dairy, and soy.  It's not a list
of things you can't have but 350 pages of everything you can have.  It
has made a huge difference for me.  Since finding that, I don't need
to take chances with soy lecithin or soy oil and feel much better for
it.

I'm extremely sensitive to contamination-I'm one of the people who
react to Amy's and to Bob's Red Mill products-and I also believe
myself to have become soy intolerant. After reading that article I
think it may not actually be the soy that I react to, but the gluten
contamination of the soy. However most of us celiacs are only as
careful as we ourselves need to be.  No-one is avoiding Amy's products
because I react to them, if they themselves don't react, and most
celiacs eat "gluen free" products made in factories where wheat flour
is used (at least I think they do; I certainly don't) so I'm guessing
that unless someone is having gluten reactions, they're going to
continue to use soy-containing products, since it's difficult, but
certainly not impossible, to avoid them. Thank you for bringing
attention to this article, though.  Those of us who are
super-sensitive have largely learned to keep our unpopular  thoughts
to ourselves.

Interesting thought. Please post back to the list if anyone gives you
some good info.

I was diagnosed in February and after I cut out gluten, I noticed that
I had a bad digestive reaction when I had gluten free soy sauce or
tofu, so I stopped eating soy.  I eat nearly all unprocessed foods - I
feel safer that way (although I still have a ways to go).  GI symptoms
are mostly gone, although sometimes I get red itchy skin on my face
and I wonder if that's a symptom of cross contamination.  Thanks for
posting about soy!  I would imagine others have similar reactions..

Very interesting point.  I haven’t considered the storage area for
processed soy, but that is a very real possibility.  I find I am
becoming less tolerant of soy myself and try to avoid when I can.  As
of late, I have been having a problem with tuna fish, which is packed
in soy – I no longer can eat this.  It’s not the fish, I eat mainly
fish for protein source, it’s the soy.  I’ve tried rinsing it, still
mild D reaction…

And of course the soy in the mayo would exaggerate the result.

 I agree with you.  I believe that I developed a food "sensitivity" to soy.
It is in everything we eat, even vitamins and medicines.  I can't eat
anything that has soy in it.  I've also  discovered that because corn is in
everything I think that has started to bother me.  I think that people with
our digestive "sensitivities" or "allergies", if they eat too much of one
thing they become sensitive.

Do not forget that there are other things that cause diarrhea and gas.
 My husband who does not have CD has both more than I do as did his
father.