From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 1995 23:50:04 EST

                 Basic Gluten-Free Pasta Mix
                 ---------------------------
                     by Toni Richardson

This recipe has been developed for use in an extrusion pasta machine,
specifically the Pasta Express.  Adapt this for other extrusion
machines.  The only change necessary should be to add a spoonful of
liquid if the mixture is too dry or a tablespoon of dry mix if the
mixture is too moist.  Follow the directions that came with your
machine.

I recommend that you quadruple the recipe for the basic mix and store
it in a 12-cup plastic container with a tight lid.  I have run up to
eight batches in sequence*one after another*by keeping the face of
the die moist with Pam while I pour the next pre- measured batch into
the machine.  This allows me to recover what would be wasted as
leftovers at the end of each batch, amounting to more than a whole
extra batch.

This recipe freezes very well.  When cooking, drop the frozen pasta
into boiling water and stir well to separate the strands.

                    Basic Mix

1/2 cup corn starch           1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup rice flour            4 tbsp. powdered egg white
1/2 cup tapioca flour         1 tbsp. granulated lecithin
1/2 cup sweet rice flour      1 tbsp. xanthan gum
1/2 cup potato starch flour

                Other Ingredients

1 beaten egg                  1/2 cup water
1 tbsp. oil                   2-3/4 cups basic mix

Combine according to the directions given for the pasta machine being
used.  Each machine will require a certain texture or degree of
moisture.  Follow the manufacturer's directions.  With the machine
running, extrude the pasta, cutting off at the die with a stiff
spatula when the strands reach the desired length.  I gently coil the
strands into a nest, and wait for the next length.  This is best done
over a large platter.

When the whole batch has been run, it may be cooked immediately or
frozen.  Cook in salted boiling water with a spoonful of salad oil.
Test the pasta until it reaches the desired doneness.  It cooks
quickly.  Drain and mix immediately with sauce, or rinse under
running water if the pasta has to sit for a while.  Mix in a little
oil to prevent sticking.

By using the various dies, you can revel in good-tasting spaghetti,
linguine, lasagna, macaroni with cheese--you name it.  Enjoy!