From:
Donnajean Plante <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:17:32 EST

Thanks to all who responded.  Below is a summary of the comments I  received.

pf changs and bonefishgrille, as well as, south austin grill in Alex.   Very
good experiences.

Go to our support group website:  _www.dcceliacs.com_
(http://www.dcceliacs.com/)  and on the left side, you  will see a heading for restaurants.  These
are restaurants that our members  like and recommend.  We have 300 members so
this is a good sampling

Arlington has plenty of restaurants, and our family of four celiacs eats  out
here all the time.  The Crystal City area has many places spread  down 23rd
Street, and this includes at least one and maybe two Thai  restaurants. There
is a Legal Seafoods in Crystal City which has very fine  upscale dining, and
they now have a gf menu.  We have a favorite tapas  restaurant downtown
called Jaleo, and they have opened a branch in Crystal  City.  There is a
metro station right near your hotel, so if you feel  adventurous, ride the
metro downtown to Gallery Place and eat at a local  tex-mex chain called the
Austin Grill, which has a gf menu (ask the  hostess).  Or come to a different
area in Arlington - eat at our  favorite Vietnamese place, a tiny and very
unassuming place called Café Dalat  - right across the street from the
Clarendon metro stop.  Or at the  Ballston Metro Stop, another tex-mex place
called Rio Grande.  There's  also a Japanese steak house in Ballston - right
across from the shopping mall  on Wilson Blvd.  The name escapes me but is
something like  "mataksu".  We had a great meal in there one night - we
called ahead and  carried in our own soy sauce, and they prepared our meal
with it.  Also  in the Clarendon area is a whole foods grocery store, with
lots of gf  options.  Good luck, and enjoy your stay!  Lynn

Many people recommended the Austin Grill - Mexican,5 locations around  DC,
has a gluten free menu.
www.austingrill.com.  Chili is the  specialty at the Austin Grill with Texas
music playing in the background.  Other house specialties include quesadillas
with chorizo and of course the  margaritas.
Address: 2404 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20007
Telephone:  202-337-8080
Category: Southwestern, Bar
Open: MON 11:30 am-10:30 pm.
TUE-THU 11:30  am-11 pm.
FRI 11:30 am-12 am.
SAT 11 am-12 am.
SUN 11 am-10:30 pm.
Meals Served: Brunch. Lunch. Dinner.
Cost:  Inexpensive
Other Info: Full Bar on  Site.
---------------------------------------
Chef Geoff - they have two  locations in DC - no GF menu, but they have
always been very accomodating and  I have never had any  problems.

Cafe Atlantico-  expensive
Restaurant Nora- expensive
Oceanaire-expensive
Jandara-  Thai
Tara Thai
Well Dressed Burrito- open for lunch only
Jaleo-  Spanish

-------------------------------
Chadwicks Restaurant in  Friendship Heights, DC has a staff that will go out
of its way to make sure  that nothing you eat has
gluten in  it.
---------------------------------
Carlyle Grand Cafe in Shirlington,  VA.
----------------------------------
La Colline on NJ Ave. near Union  Station understands GF and Montmartre on
7th
above PA Ave SE  understands.
Mike's American  Grill

-------------------------------

The CLarendon area  (Alrington, VA next to the Clarendon Metro Station) has a
lot of  Vietnamese
places.  We love Cafe Dalat, which is just across the street  from the metro
stop.  It is very unassuming place, with delicious cheap  food, and almost
everything on the menu is gf....we avoid the dishes with  "soft noodles".
For Thai food a great place is Ringcome in Arlington, on  Columbia Pike.  Or
we have a nice local chain called Tara  Thai.
---------------------
Just wanted to let you all know about another  great restaurant.  This
weekend I went to Rosa Mexicana on the corner of  7th and F Streets downtown
(across from the MCI Center).  Every item on  the menu except for 1 dessert
is wheat free.  They use corn instead of  wheat.  I would describe it as an
upscale Mexican restaurant.   Everything was delicious.  I didn't have one
but the rest of my friends  raved about the pomegranate margaritas!
--------------------
We've been on  the search for a new Asian restaurant since we became
disenchanted with  Bangkok Gardens in Downtown Bethesda.   Well, we found it!
One or  two people at the last meeting mentioned this restaurant and then a
menu from  them arrived in the mail the other week.

It's the China Pavilion  restaurant on 4611-A Sangamore Road in Bethesda.
301-263-1088.  For  those who know Bethesda, it's in the Ft. Sumner
neighborhood near the Defense  Mapping Agency.

Bottom line, they keep wheat-free soy sauce on-hand for  customers who
request it.  We brought our own tonight, and they used  it.  We ordered
Crispy Beef, Chicken w/Broccoli in a white sauce, Egg  Plant in garlic sauce
and Pad Thai.  The Pad Thai was just OK, but  everything else was fantastic.
It was the first time Abe had tried Crispy  Beef, which was my favorite.

The fellow behind the bar, who seemed to be  the manager, said to me, "we
seem to have a lot of customers requesting  wheat-free food."  I told him we
all talk to each other, and when we  find out about someone who's
accommodating to our dietary needs, we patronize  that establishment.  And,
our group is getting bigger and bigger.   He liked that.

He said that you needed to request the wheat free soy  sauce as it was not
standard, but there was no extra charge for it.  As  always, I also ask for
corn starch in the sauces and coatings just to be  sure.

We live outside of DC so unless you are venturing into the suburbs, we can
not help a lot.  BUT my kids love the Austin Grill, check them out  online.  My
hubby and I love Chipotle.com the little ones can eat rice and  beans there.
Careful at Chipitle to skip the lettuce since they rarely use  tongs for
this.  There was just a post on Silly Yaks about a Boston  Market/McDonalds being
inside one of the museums.   Email me again and  I can find this email for you
if you are not on that listserv when I have more  time.

Go to www.outback.com , www.carrabbas.com , www.bonefishgrill.com .
They  are all owned by Outback Steakhouse and have gluten free menus (even
for  children) and locations on their web site.  Print a copy of the  menu,
take it with you, and ASK FOR THE MANAGER------.  I have eaten at  all of
them with no adverse effects.  Perhaps there will be one near  where you will

Yes.  We stayed at the Holiday Inn at 500 C Street,  SW.
202-479-4000.  It could be 550 C Street.  It is near the  Air
and Space Museum of the Smithsonian--just a block off the
mall.   We walked everywhere except when we were dressed up
for a lunch in the Reagan  Building.  The chef at this
Holiday Inn worked with me through the  waiter on what I
could and could not eat.  He even fixed me things that  were
not on the menu.  It was great.  There was also a  TCBY
Yogurt Shop somewhere near downtown.  Diane

always go to Austin Grill when I'm in DC. Its a
tex-mex restaurant  with a GF menu. There are several
locations in the area.  The one  closest to the middle
of the action downtown is about a block away from  the
Chinatown Metro Stop -- near the International Spy
Museum.  You  can check out their website and GF menu
online --

Also, there are  Whole Foods and Trader Joes
restaurants in the area --  suburbs.