From:
KATHY BENNETT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
KATHY BENNETT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 08:54:28 -0500

I would like to add my 2 cents and say that most of us are not scientists
and the information from these studies can be very misleading. Listen to
your doctors, support groups and more importantly, your body.
Clinical studies are the means to find an alternative treatment for a
totally gluten free diet. I am betting on Dr. Fassano to come up with this.
He recently gave a seminar at the hospital where my daughter works to teach
doctors how to spot and diagnose CD. He noted that a  significant side
effect of CD is clinical depression. The knowledge that there are great
minds looking for alternative treatments for CD gives hope to celiacs for a
happier, healthier and easier life. The combination of a gluten free diet
and a good attitude is the best treatment out there right now. I am grateful
that there are people who are willing to take risks in these trials for the
celiac community.
When my daughter was dx'd at 17 my husband and I were very depressed. She
turned to us and said something that stuck with us and got us through. She
said "I eat to live, not live to eat, don't worry, I'll be fine". She is a
nurse now at a Children's Hospital where she counts her blessings every day.
KathyB