From:
Peter Hyatt - BRIDGE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 1995 20:32:34 EDT

Jim Lyles,
    your note was very interesting. I am certainly guilty of
violating your caution.  But befour I once again change my life I need
to konw where your information comes from. I have done quite well
these 13 years on my diet.
    I would argue that we live our lives wearing out our bodies,
irritationg our skin, pouring acid into our stomach, pinching our
toes. I would further argue that just because vinegar starts out as
barley does not necessarily imply that any gluten remains after
disillation etc. The question isn't so much how it is made as it is--
Is there gluten in it?
    If the celiac reaction is an immune reaction is it diffent from,
say allergy to pollens, where the aim is to do the possible, ie. to
minimize the problem rather than the impossible, ie. to illuminate
all pollens all together? If the celiac reaction is an intolerance
reaction, that is poison, is not the argument of minimum reaction the
same?  Moderate users of alcohol or aspirin may consume this poison
for a lifetime of 80 years or more with mo real effect.
    If there is a body of research, or even a suggestion from a
study, that argues that I am wrong I would certainly change my errant
ways. But my life's experience is that my body is a marvelous thing
that if treated with moderation will serve me well. I may injure it
with soap, or aspirin, or stiff shoes, alcohol, coffee, or long
walks, too much food, cold wind, hot sun, or a hundred other everyday
things but if I use my body at about the same rate it is repaired the
destruction is exercise rather than self abuse.
    For my body, I would never consider eating a crouton or a
handfull of aspirin but if a micro-gram of malt flavoring seems to
do no discernable harm am I not making of such strict avoidance an
unnecessary barrier to life?