Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 07:57:14 -0400

I got many responses, and found the contrast of replies very interesting. There were 39 who criticized the author as being less than diplomatic and 37 who thought that he was right on target (even though some of them also would have appreciated a kinder, gentler approach). In the interest of brevity, I am enclosing what I believe to be a fair sampling of the quotes:
RE: the article by Jack Challem, "Gluten Free,but Not Guilt Free" in the May 2003 issue of "Let's Live". Jack Challem states that he went to a celiac conference. The particular problem paragraph:

"There are a lot of gluten-free treats on the market now. During the first break at the celiac meeting, hundreds of attendees had a chance to snack on gluten-free cookies, muffins, cakes and other refined baked goods. They swarmed around the tables to sample the snacks, but although they were avoiding the gluten, they were still loading up on refined sugars and carbs. Sadly, they don't seem to have recognized the opportunity to learn from their misfortune by adopting a truly healthy diet."

The photo at the top of the article shows a woman grabbing an iced doughnut.

Why was it necessary to be so RUDE and PREACHY? Why not interview some celiacs, then you would have been able to report the kinder and gentler truth, "Many celiacs find that the silver lining to the cloud of celiac disease is that they eat a healthier diet, as they cannot eat the carb laden cookies and cakes others bring to the office or to barbecues.  Nonetheless, when they come to a celiac support group meeting they do look forward to sampling and buying a few of the gluten free cookies, muffins, and doughnuts that are available on the market."

Come on GNC, strive for some professionalism. No one wants to buy from preachy people.

Susan
So sorry you feel offended. I feel that he is correct. When I was first diagnosed I was much better, but after a year or so, it was apparent that I had switched to a diet that was imitating my old way of eating, but with more calories and sugar. I had quit worrying about fat and sugar in my attempt to be "normal." I eliminated all sugar and most alternative flours and am much, much healthier for eating less fat and refined sugar. At times I watch celiacs "pig out" at gf functions and wonder if it makes them feel as bad later as it would me.

As a leader in our local celiac group, I keep my opinions pretty much to myself unless asked. But the man is correct..... it is a shame some people are not listening to their bodies that well. It will be interesting to hear what kind of hornet's nest you have poked into!

Anne in Texas
Unless you've experienced all the physical and emotional aspects of living gf, you can't understand how difficult this lifestyle can be. Also, I was more willing to "do without" before my 8 year old son was diagnosed. How can I tell him that all his friends and even the other adults who are a part of his life can enjoy certain items, and carry on in front of him about how wonderful that cake is or those cookies are, and he has to do without? Unless I can offer him a safe alternative, my efforts to help him will all be for nothing, because as soon as I turn my back, he will be filling up at his friends' homes on things that could eventually cost him his life. I, for one, am grateful that there are items on the market to help us make this challenge bearable.

Sarah
I haven't seen the article, but I do have to admit that as a newly diagnosed celiac (last June) I soon realized that I felt so deprived I started eating more carbs and sugars than before and started gaining weight. I was eating them, even though they didn't taste as good as the "real thing."

I am more sensible now and pretty much stay away from all those empty calories. They really are pretty useless nutritionally and mostly fattening. If we go long enough without them, we do lose the urge. I am more excited about the fresh raspberries I bought today than any gluten-free brownie.

I haven't had one cold or sore throat or any sickness since I went on this diet. It feels a lot better to be healthy all the time and physically fit, than to enjoy the taste of some treat that only lasts a few minutes.

End of sermon. Sorry, but I agree with the paragraph you quoted (though I don't have the entire context).

Charlene
The reporter probably doesn't understand that many celiacs have been severely underweight and need to increase their calorie consumption in their efforts to gain weight. For so many years, people said they envied me because I could eat anything and not gain weight, but it was a frustration to me because I knew something was wrong. Well, I don't have THAT problem anymore:) Now, however, I do have to watch what I eat, and I do most days, but it's great to have treats sometimes, and I really don't want someone to criticize me for what is, after all, a very personal choice.

Pam
Please lighten up! The last things celiacs need is to come across as overly sensitive about what some body writes. You are trying to establish 'dietarily correct" speech.

Dan
Dear Mr Challem and editor,

Regarding your article "Gluten Free But Not Guilt Free":

Are you aware of a recent study from Europe which showed that people on a celiac diet actually have a greater life expectancy than the general population? It seems then, that one can be not only Gluten Free AND Guilt Free, but also be Gluten Free and Amused At Those Who Look Down On What We Choose To Eat On The Odd Occassion We Are Actually Able To Eat The Goodies Presented.

I would then suggest that you make your dietary choices without making me look like an ignorant pig, and I'll try to do the same for you.

Regards,

Ingrid
I have not seen the article you are referring to, so I am just commenting on your comments. I would tend to agree with the author. I mean, excess sugar and carbohydrates are not good for anybody, celiac or no. It seems like a lot of us have a feeling of being deprived so we load up on gluten-free junk food. Much of it, unfortunately, is even less nutritious than the gluten-containing originals it replaces. I know I myself am at times guilty of this, but I would not seek to defend the behavior if criticized. If you write the author, are you going to tell him that no, not all celiacs eat that way, or that he is wrong to criticize their eating that way? Or should he not dare to criticize us in any way because we are less fortunate than him (some sort of political correctness?)

Another point: celiacs wouldn't be complaining about the great "expense" of the gluten-free diet if they just bought plain food--fruits, vegetables, nuts, meats, whole grains and beans--and then cooked it themselves. (Though they might, like me, then be complaining about spending all of their time in the kitchen!) Bread, or imitations of it, is not a basic necessity in the human diet. Our ancestors lived just fine without it for millennia prior to the invention of agriculture and
baking.

Diane, NYC
I've never been able to go to one of the conferences and I would love to go and enjoy a day where I wouldn't have to ask about the ingredients in each item. My friends always feel free to just pick up anything that appeals to them, and I have to be so careful, well, you know the drill.  I wonder what the author of the article eats at a picnic or party.  Unless you've walked a mile in my shoes...

Jack, in NC
While I have not seen the article to which you refer (but I will when I get my copy of Let's Live), I am not offended by the paragraph you quote. Naturally, all of us react differently to different situations and circumstances, but the writer has a very valid point. I am a devotee of the Atkins' diet and therefore I fully understand the author's point of view. I eat a low carb, high protein, gluten free diet which makes my life and eating habits extremely easy. I no longer worry about the gluten content of foods since most of what I do eat is already gluten free due to its being low carb and vice-versa. What the author tries to point out is that in being required to eat a GF diet, celiacs have a unique opportunity to *really* eat a very healthy diet. Most of the highly refined carb and sugar content foods are off limits by definition such as the pastas, breads, baked goods, etc. You have every right to voice your opinion and opposition to the author but keep in mind that he does have a valid point. And, BTW, I do not at all miss those heavily laden carb foods such as breads, cookies, etc. I simply make mine with healthy low carb flour substitutes and quite frankly, they are better than the ones made with all those GF flour mixtures and far healthier.

EmmaJane
I'm sorry but I happen to agree with the person who wrote the article. I do not, however, like the tone of it or the shaming implications.......whoever wrote that could have left off the moralizing or written the message in a way which was not patronizing..........best wishes,

Leslie in Atlanta
What is his problem? what kind of business is he in? It shouldn't make any difference if a person is rushing for a doughnut.  many people with celiac just think it's the wheat and gluten grains they need to not eat so they load up on too much fat, protein and sugar. There are now companies putting out the unhealthy junk foods although they are gf.
Lil