From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 07:50:19 -0400

Hi list,

I am posting this to the list because since the question has come up again,
it seems appropriate to re-summarize the answers I received when I asked it
some months ago.

The replies were varied.

Some people report rashes etc. when they use gluten-containing products.
Some of them are certain that this is a gluten reaction. Other people say
that if you get gluten into the bloodstream through a cut or a scratch, you
are taking in gluten.

By contrast, several responders said there is an array of allergic
reactions and caution against celiacs assuming that everything is
gluten-related.

An couple of experts on the list replied to my post, saying that the celiac
reaction happens only in the gut. Even dermatitis heptaformitis, while it
appears on the skin, arises from a reaction to gluten in the gut.

The experts say that the only way non-food items like shampoor are a
problem is if some trickles into the mouth and is swallowed. Likewise,
handcream, cosmetics and so forth.

My own thought is, rather than maintain constant vigilance about swallowing
a little bit of toothpaste or putting something in my mouth I have touched
with hands creamed with a gluten-containing product, I may as well avoid
the gluten-containing products as much as possible. My recent anti-body
test (not that this is an absolutle guarantee of anything) was negative.

I admit I am not hyper-vigilant about the ingredients of the cosmetics I
use. I suspect, however, that if I had a celiac child I would be pretty
careful since children--especially small ones--are notorious for putting
everything into their mouths.

regards to all --
Mary B
NYC