Date:
Mon, 1 May 1995 16:15:06 EDT

Hi,

I have been "lurking about" for a while now and have made it through
almost all of the past logs.  We just got the test results back on the
IgG and the IgA blood test for our 18 month old son (Alex).  We stumbled
onto the fact that wheat gave him diarea and kept finding more stuff.
About 4 weeks later we had him off of wheat, milk, and other items (malt
and carmel coloring and stuff although at the time we didn't know what
the problem was with the given item).  We then saw a pediatrician and the
first thing he wanted to check for was CD.  A doctor at Rileys Childrens
Hospital (Indianapolis, IN) told us that the blood test was much more
reliable now and that a biopsy would probably not be needed.

Well, we have the test results back and they indicate he does NOT have
CD.  Every time we give him gluten products (usually by accident) he gets
many of the symptoms we have read about here, the worst (but far from
only) being his diarea.  Is the word out there that the blood test has
improved much lately?  That doesn't seem to be the case from the past
logs but...  At this point the Pediatrician has encouraged us to keep him
on the diet since it helps and have him rechecked in 3 months or so.

I have really appreciated the people and input this group has made in our
lives.

Also, what does anyone know about gluten in Rice Cakes.  We give them to
him and called Quaker who makes some and they said that there Banana Nut
and Honey Nut ones were GF, well he reacted (Carmel Color is listed on
them).  Any input on these or other brands.

Tim and Kay Meadows
Warsaw, Indiana