From:
Linda Sowry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 21:33:47 EDT

   I must start by giving my recipe for my cheesecake.  It might have cleared up
some questions.
      ~1 pkg graham crackers crushed (I substitute 2/3 of a box of Health Valley
Rice Bran Crackers)
      ~1/3 stick of melted butter
   I used this plus added about 1/4 cup of sugar.  I pressed it into my pie
plate and then poured my cheesecake filling into it, and then refrigerated it
for several hours.  My Mom's cheesecake recipe is:
      ~Beat one 8oz pkg of cream cheese until soft.
      ~Gradually stir in 1 can of sweetened condensed milk.
      ~Add 1/3 cup of lemon juice and 1 tsp of vanilla.
      ~Stir until blended and pour into prepared crumb crust.
      ~Cover with fresh fruit or GF pie filling.
      ~Refrigerate several hours before serving. (double recipe for 13x9 pan)
It was delicious, but the crust was crumbly.  I asked for advice........

   Some said to:  ~add sweet rice flour  ~add any GF flour  ~try an egg and
reduce amount of butter  ~add more butter  ~grate crackers smaller in a
blender or food chopper  ~add more sugar  ~use a glass pie plate and microwave
for a minute or so to set the crust
   I  have a dilema...  we are moving from Virginia to Florida next week and I
don't have time to try different ways.  If anyone else wants to, let me know
what you discover.  With the conflicting advice, it would take me a while to
figure it out... plus many of the suggestions, such as adding flour, would
have to be for a baked recipe which mine is not.
   Some gave recommendations:  ~the cereal crust in B. Hagman's 1st cookbook
~the recipe on Knox gelatin box "It's a Snap Cheesecake" with 1 Tbl cocoa and
1 Tbl sugar added  ~Sweet Rice Flour Crust - B. Hagman's "More from the
Gluten-Free Gourmet"
   Some gave recipes:  ~4 Tbl melted butter, 24-30 finely processed Rice Bran
Crackers, pour batter in and cook both crust and cake all at once  ~Gene Hill
writes: "I make a cheesecake crust from a "flour" made of ground almonds.  I
add butter or oleo with a little vanilla powder to give flavor and spread it
in the base of the pan."  He grinds almonds into a fine flour to do so.

   I will try adding more butter to my recipe first.  Here is the address on the
box if you can't find the Rice Bran Crackers at your Health Food Stores:
                        Health Valley Company
                        16100 Foothill Blvd.
                        Irwindale, CA  91706-7811   USA
Hope you can make sense of all this... and I have no ties to this company,
just love their crackers!!!  Thanks, Linda Sowry    Herndon, VA (soon to be in
Pensacola, FL) =)