From:
Herb Bolz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 14:46:27 -0700

Thanks sharing your negative experience.

When I read the initial message describing the "miraculous" effects of this
colorful algae, alarm bells started going off in my head.  Is this yet
another cure-all?  Reminds me of the medicine show days of yore, and of the
"healing crystal" stories of recent years. It seems as though people
selling material that they claim cures particular medical problems should
be required to prove those claims prior to selling the stuff.  I thought
this was the kind of thing the Food and Drug Administration was responsible
for monitoring.

I guess those of us with significant medical problems will always be
particularly vulnerable to certain types of sales pitches.  (I tend to buy
almost anything I see in the store that says "gluten free" on the label,
even though these statements have not always proven to be reliable.) I
think WE may need to modify the traditional saying "let the buyer beware,"
into "let the buyer be EXTREMELY beware."

Finally, anyone who sells anything needs to be sensitive to the moral
dimension of this activity. And, as the tobacco-industry stories in the
Wall Street Journal and elsewhere over the past year or so vividly
demonstrate, it is possible to use the legal system to hold sellers
accountable.

HERB BOLZ  :)               *   Davis, California, USA
(personal views only)       *   (between Sacramento and San Francisco)
[log in to unmask]  *     ---city of bikes---