From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 10:29:10 -0600

My young son age 3 has CD.  We informed all those at our family reunion of
his problem and some forgot when offering him something.  This happened once
when I wasn't around and it was an item Cody could readily identify as NOT
GF, a cracker.  As it was handed to him he put his hand up in the stop
position and yelled NO DON'T.  He is aware that he cannot have certain
foods, but cannot yet pronounce gluten free.  The problem we have is that
there are many foods that look just like what he can eat yet they are not
GF, case in point, many marshmallows at the re-union were not labelled corn
starch, only starch or food-starch.  Kraft in Canada is labelled corn starch
but not so in the states (at least in Montana), so I asked the campgrounds
to use their phone and phoned Kraft to question them.  They turned out to be
GF, but it would have been so much easier to read the label.

Also the campground has a ice cream freezer in their store so I phoned ahead
to ask if I could borrow a spot for keeping breads, GF hamburger I premade
and froze, hot dogs.  They had no problem and we had enough food for 10 days.

I also premixed the dry ingredients of my pancake mix I have sent to the
list before, added the wet ingredients and pancakes turned out great.

All in all the camping trip was a huge success as was the re-union (73
campers).

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada