From:
Chris Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2004 08:15:36 -0400

This isn't the full summary (yet) but one reply is the first that
reported Mixed Results from Primal Defense AND *Great* Results
with another product (Natren's Healthy Trinity),
excerpt:
   My doctor took all his patients off Primal Defense and
   switched us to Natren's Healthy Trinity.     Within 3 months,
   friendly bacteria started implanting and now my levels are normal
   and I have not been sick with any other intestinal bacterial
   infections in the last two years since I started taking Natren's
   instead;
See in full below

Also note three other replies (not below) *DID* report terrific results
with Primal Defense, and a number of others reported positively if not
exuberantly about Primal Defense & the quality of Garden of Life
products, but a few noted their cost is awfully high.  A few mentioned
kefir and 1 or 2 mentioned fermented Kombucha (kombuchka?) tea as
supplying the same kind of nutrients.

One person said "it works for some & doesn't work for others."
One person said their alternative health practitioner discouraged taking
these probiotics because there can be adverse effects.

Several others, though, reported signficant success.

Also someone noted many posts on probiotics made by
  Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
and I see at least 2 dozen.
One compares cost of Natren's, a kefir, and Nancy's Yogurt.
Nancy's wins by a big margin .. on cost.
and he says:
   30 capsules Heathy Trinity list for $59.95, but discount pricing is
   usually available.

For myself, I've used a Solgar probiotic and others and like the guy
below, they help significantly with energy level etc. as long as I
keep taking them with every meal, just after the meal.
And, for myself, reading his 1st book is a mixed experience - lots of
extrapolation from tidbits of research .. but his fundamental "cure of
Crohn's Disease" is impressive.

And, my opinion is that there are a lot of individual differences
at work.
- Chris

- - - - - - - - - - - -
I took Primal Defense for over a year, at my holistic MD's advice.  He was
very big on it for a while.  I had no friendly bacteria in my intestinal
tract at the time and was constantly getting intestinal infections and felt
horrible as a result (intestinal bacterial infections occur when you are
badly out of balance, called dysbiosis).

The upshot of this is that, although I felt a little better taking Primal
Defense, it did not work at all in terms of implanting acidophilus or
friendly bacteria.

It is quite expensive, you have to take a lot of it, and the bottom line
is that it doesn't work, not just for me but for any of my doctor's
patients.  This isn't anecdotal information: it was documented by my
advanced lab work, which showed that, after a year on this product, I
STILL had no friendly bacteria in my gut.

My doctor took all his patients off Primal Defense and switched us to
Natren's Healthy Trinity.  Within 3 months, friendly bacteria started
implanting and now my levels are normal and I have not been sick with
any other intestinal bacterial infections in the last two years since I
started taking Natren's instead; I think that Whole Foods sells Natren's
and luckily my local hfs stocks it in the refrigerated section