Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:57:59 -0600

Hi All--

When I was tested for celiac disease 6 years ago, sera was normal and the
biopsy was inconclusive. I went on a GF diet and some of my symptoms
resolved or got better...other symptoms didn't change.

My GP and I are now going over some past labs done in 1989 by an infectious
disease doc. My IgG is low and one complement (or sub  class is borderline
low). I've just spent four days researching low IgG and the immune system in
general. According to my GP, the low IgG would most likely affect tests
run specifically for inflammatory diseases, such as lupus, RA, etc. What
about celiac disease? I know celiac is an autoimmune disease, but is it also
considered an inflammatory disease?

When my allergist performed skin tests on me last fall for airborne
allergies, dust mites, mold, etc., only the mold was positive in her office
(around 9:00 a.m.) At around 6:00 p.m. that evening, a nurse friend of mine
measured five additional positive reactions (large wheals).

This is probably not a question that most people on this list are interested
in or even has relevance to them, but from what I've read this past week
about IgG deficiency, it might (?) impact the celiac test. This is my
question. And if low IgG affects tests for inflammatory/autoimmune diseases,
how does one get reliable results when testing?

I may be wrong about my conclusions. If so, please feel free to tell
me. Since I'm still not gaining weight, I would like to know if I need to be
more strict with my GI doc to find out if I have refractory sprue or perhaps
another process going on.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this question(s) for me...I'll
summarize.  ~~Ayn in Alabama