From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:38:34 -0500

Here are the top responses about enzymes for accidentaly ingestion. The others were duplicates. Thanks for sharing. The red wine sounds promising and the most fun! Just kidding... Lin

1.The more effective thing I've heard of for countering a gluten accident is
not an enzyme, it's a homeopathic remedy called veratrum alba.  I've heard
it stops the reaction dead in it tracks.  Even gets rid of the headaches &
other other unpleasant symptoms.  It's available on line and in some
naturopathis dispensaries.  If you're still looking for an enzyme, try
papaya.  I've heard that papaya helps.

2.In response to your question about enzymes-- I use Payaya 100 mg Natural Digestant tablets from Freeda Vitamins.  I take 4 of them at one time and they really help me.  I always carry them with me just in case.  They are very inexpensive- $6.30 for 250 of them.  Since I take several other meds too, these work because they do not cause any reaction with the other meds that I take.  The website is www.freedavitamins.com

3.Pancreatic enzymes help with digestion- I take them before every meal.  I don't know if they would help a reaction but it might be worth looking into.  However, you do need a prescription.

4..... red wine, though I don't know exactly why. The wine thing is interesting, since in the Mediterranean, where wheat eating started more or less, red wine is de riguer with each meal. I think it might disable the gluten a bit somehow.

5.Pascalite clay (1/2 tsp in water) also seems helpful (it binds to toxins in the gut).

6.A friend who is celiac (and diagnosed my daughter) used to use peptobismol tablets, several at a time, at the spacing on the package.  She said Dollar General's generic bismuth tablet worked better -- it doesn't have soy, to which she is allergic. Her Gastro suggested this.

7. I am a gastroenterologist.  Protease pills are not of any use here.
Gliadin is resistant to proteases - that is why it is even able to pass
intact into the mucosa.  There is no enzyme specific to gliadin or
celiacs. The best defense against accidental ingestions is to be gluten free.
With a gluten free diet the mucosa is less likely to pass intact
proteins and small accidental ingestions will be less of a problem.

8. I use Kirkman Labs enzymes, one with DPP-IV in it.
You can get it on line at www.kirkmanlabs.com.  There is one that is
mostly DPP-IV and one that includes all the enzymes one needs. I use
them both, the complete for any meal, and extra DPP-IV when I am forced
to eat out or be in an environment with wheat. I always take it,
because it needs to be taken with the food to help digest it, not
necessarily afterwards.

9. You can get enzymes that are made to help break down the gluten and caisen from Kirkman Labs 800 245 8282. I've been taking emzymaid and what a difference. They treat alot of autistic children  with these. There are several different kinds. You can look them up on the web at www.kirkmangroup.com . All their products are gluten free. They've been at national celiac conferences.