From:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:16:59 -0500

Thank you for all your responses. Apologies for taking so long to
summarize.
The discussion went off on a tangent to a discussion of wet vs dry
mono/diglycerides, distilled vinegar vs malt vinegar, the CSA, how
incorrrect distribution of information has led to confusion and lack of
credibility for Celiacs, the FDA, a possible typo in a CCA pocket
dictionary, and I'm still waiting for a few responses.

Anyway, here is a list of what people are using to bake GFCF cookies:
I have only included responses for Canadian brand-name products and for
natural products which would be available anywhere.

olive oil
virgin coconut oil
olive oil shortening (not available in Canada?)
lard
canola oil
Crisco shortening
Crisco Golden shortening
Fleishmann's margarine
Fleichmans (sp)  salt  free margarine
Fleischmann's corn oil margarine
Fleischmanns Light Unsalted margarine
Imperial Margarine
GHEE

Some say cookies just won't turn out unless you use hard fats, others say
it works but the cookie is crispier and spreads during baking.