From:
Jutta Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jutta Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:50:20 -0800

Hello Everybody,

Below is the response I just received from McDonalds re the wheat in the
fries. I am traveling 2-3 days per week and quite often I am too pooped
in the evening to search for a restaurant and go then to any McDonald
near by. Since I stopped eating the fries, I feel better, clearer mind,
better focus, sleep better and have good energy. I am ultra sensitive to
gluten, probably because of 23 years being undiagnosed. I believe I did
react to the fries.

Hello Jutta:

Thank you for contacting McDonald's with your questions concerning the
recent reports about the presence of gluten in our French fries and hash
browns. First and foremost, please understand that we care about our
customers and that is why McDonald's communicates nutrition information
about its menu items on its website and in its restaurants.

We recently shared information on our website regarding the presence of
ingredients derived from wheat in the natural flavoring for our French
fries and hash browns in the United States. We want to take this
opportunity to explain how we became aware of this information and what
it means.

The recent new law, called the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer
Protection Act, requires producers of packaged foods to communicate on
their labels the presence of the main eight allergens and their
derivatives. In conjunction with the new law, the supplier of the
natural flavoring used in our French fries and hash browns informed
McDonald's of the use of wheat as a starting ingredient in the natural
flavoring. While the new law applies to packaged food products--not the
restaurant industry--in our ongoing efforts to communicate to our
customers we thought it was important to share this information.

In order to provide you with additional information, we have included in
this e-mail a link to a statement from the Celiac Sprue Association
(CSA) posted on their website http://www.csaceliacs.org/index.php. The
CSA statement summarizes their evaluation of the commercial
manufacturing process for the natural flavoring and the preparation of
the French fries and hash browns. We understand that this information is
important to you because it enables you to make individual choices about
the foods you eat. We also recommend that you continue to seek advice
from your health care provider who is familiar with Celiac Disease and
your particular sensitivity to gluten.

We appreciate the valuable perspectives we have received on this
important topic. We hope that you find this information helpful and we
thank you again for your patronage and the trust you place in
McDonald's.

Sincerely,

Catherine E. Adams Ph.D, R.D.
Corporate Vice President Worldwide Quality Systems and Nutrition
McDONALD'S CORPORATION

Northwest Clinical Research Associate, LLC
CCRA Consultant
Office: 360-769-6193
Mobile: 360-440-9970

The information transmitted in this communication is intended only for
the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please destroy
any copies, contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.