From:
Bob Land <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 14:47:09 -0700

To all:

First of all, thanks to Jan Ryan for the "Smoothies" recipe.  However,
my daughter has diabetes as well so I made a few changes to make it a
more of a high protein snack which is important to those with diabetes.

The modified recipe is:

1 large banana
2 cups GF orange juice
1 lb. frozen strawberries
1 10.5 oz. package of firm tofu
1 cup ice
the equivalent of 1/4 cup sugar in a sugar substitute (we use Sweet &
Low 1/4 tsp.)

Blend all the ingredients in a blender and it makes a rich frothy shake.

nutritional information:

1 oz. = 12 calories;  1.5 grams sugar;  1.1 grams of protein
4 oz  = 48 calories;  6 grams sugar;  4.4 grams of protein
8 oz  = 96 calories;  12 grams sugar;  8.8 grams of protein

The most we allow her to have is 8 oz. because of the sugar content, but
before a softball game or other sports activity she can have more.  Thus
far her blood sugars are remaining stable.

Again, thanks to all for the contributions.  This listserve is
invaluable to us.

Bob Land