From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 2015 03:50:36 +0000

Dear Listmates,
Whenever I view a gluten-free bread cookbook with a bagel recipe, I often wonder if the author's bagels will actually produce a good tasting bagel. So, the double-dare for Nancy Cain's against the grain [no caps in book title] cookbook was making bagels without xanthan or guar gums. Would these bagels meet the standards of the toughest critic in my home - my wife who has a non-GF bagel every day for breakfast? Bagels, in my opinion, are one of the more difficult breads to make gluten-free.

I have to admit that it took two failures before I figured out how to make the bagels. The blog here, http://bit.ly/GF_Bake , shows some of the additional steps I used to make the bagels.

Ms. Cain also uses a special type of buckwheat flour from northern Maine. My blog also describes that flour as well testing the two different types of buckwheat in Brenton crepes. If you buy Ms. Cains book you are not necessarily committed to having to buy Acadian buckwheat. The author offers substitutions, but Acadian buckwheat has some interesting properties that could be exploited for traditional gluten-free bread recipes.
VicSunnyvale, CA