Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 07:21:22 -0400

Specialty Laboratoies has an ad in the Spring, 1997 issue of the American
Celiac Society as well as an article on Celiac Disease:  The Tip of the
Iceberg written by Linda D. Dearing, M.S. is most informative.

However, when I telephoned their 1-800 tel number yesterday the young man who
answered was almost chilly.  I asked what the procedure was for accepting
blood, how should my 86 year old mother's physician get her blood to them,
etc.  His reply, "the doctor can call us."  I pulled and politely grilled him
until I got the address in Santa Monica, Ca.  When I asked if the specimen
needed to be cool/cold/on ice or if they have special packs to send out for
speciments, he kept say, "it depends upon which test; its up to the doctor".
 I said they were for celiac sprue.... Finally, I gave up.

Question:  My mother lives in Tryon, NC and goes to either Hendersonville, NC
or Spartenberg, S.C. to see various doctors.  I recall sometime back an email
on an excellent lab in North Carolina for the testing of blood for celiac.
 Could someone please email the list or me with the name of that lab?  And/or
are there other labs, not in California, where the doctor can send my
mother's blood?

Though she is 86 her mind is extremely alert, however she is spitting up
blood, has an ulcer that is not caused by bacteria and horrible osteoperosis.
 Since I have celiac sprue she wants to be tested for it, too.  She will be
most appreciative.

Thank you  Sarah  (I'm taking advantage of a USAir E-Saver and flying there
this weekend so will take whatever info I can with me, for her to give to her
doctor(s).)

Sarah Barnett
Washington, D.C.