From:
Hilary Shughart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hilary Shughart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2004 21:02:16 -0500

I would be very interested in knowing whether anyone knows of a treatment that is effective for the behavioral reactions to gluten. I know that research has found a high incidence of depression and schizophrenia in adolescents prior to their diagnosis of Celiac Disease, and that being gluten free is apparently pretty good treatment. But what about the situation where you get some cross-contamination and the reaction is really terrible, similar to going insane for a short period. It would be great if there were something like an Epipen that could just be used in case of emergency, but assuming that is not available, are there folks out there who stay on a medication in order to assure staying on an even keel? Better yet, is there a morning after quick fix (I've seen many suggestions posted, but they are for the diarrhea, gas, etc., not the depression or mania)? It seems to me it is very difficult to avoid any chance of cross-contamination other than only eating at home, so, if the reactions are so terrible, are there any options?
The person I would like to help has already worked with a neurologist and was treated for "migraine with episodic dyscontrol", but the drug cocktails only made matters far worse - it was only the gluten free diet and prescription pancreatic enzymes that helped; but now the question is whether he can ever eat out since the reactions are so bad (migraine with episodic dyscontrol looks just like insanity - with an all out aggressive-destructive episode, but it usually only lasts for 30-40 minutes, though full recovery can take a week or two). He also saw a psychiatrist who thought he was perfectly happy and well adjusted - it really is a Dr. Jekyll-Mr. Hide type of thing.
Thanks.
Hilary