From:
Phyllis J Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phyllis J Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 17:28:46 -0400

Thanks to the?40 people who responded!? Here is a brief summary of what I was told.

Of the 40 respondents?that mentioned specific chex cereals...
30 said no problem with rice chex
30 said no problem with corn chex
23 said no problem with Corn Honey Nut
5 said no problem with the chocolate chex
3 said no problem with the strawberry chex
1 said no problem with the cinnamon chex

Most everyone said to be sure the box was clearly marked Gluten Free.? (My boxes were marked Gluten Free)

"Are you sure you aren't getting old boxes of Chex cereals that still contain barley malt?? The new Chex cereals say gluten free right on the front and side of the box, and the ingredients don't list barley malt.? The use molasses in place of the barley malt.? The CSA has worked closely with General Mills on these cereals.? The new boxes are all gluten free and made on dedicated equipment.? Unless youa re reacting to something else in the cereal, but it wouldn't be gluten if you are buying the new gluten-free boxes."

I spoke with GM again today and learned that the corn and rice used comes from gluten free fields to a gluten free manufacturing?environment and leaves in shrink-wrapped groupings.? Once they are distributed, they have no more control.? But since all is sealed at that point it should be OK.

About 4 people think GM is NOT a gluten free environment.

4 (including me that's 5) said they have unusual symptoms with the CORN chex.? Here are some quotes:
"unusual symptoms and will stop eating until I return to normal and can try them again"

"have been eating corn chex for several months and have had slight burning in my mouth and lips and slight fatigue"

My symptoms were all GI.

3 said they have had symptoms even from the RICE cereals.
"I just wanted to say that I haven't tried any of the new Chex cereals, but I've tried the Rice Chex several times and had the same reaction you describe each time. Others have reported the same to me personally and on gluten-free forums.? Of course, some people report no reaction. I'm not sure what this means. If?GM really? is adhering to the less than 20 ppm standard, maybe it means some of us are more sensitive than that. As a leader of a support group, I share info on these products, but warily."

2 people had?"severe reactions" from the chocolate type.

Thanks to all for your time and quick response!? Phyllis

?