From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 1997 17:03:04 -0600

Hello, all,

I have been very hesitant about raising this question, but need some input
from y'all.

About six weeks ago I started feeling terribly run-down. Because I am
absolutely paranoid about my diet, I wrote off CD questions immediately,
and became quite concerned about anemia or a possible recurrence of heart
problems--this was how I felt before me my heart attack. Blood tests ruled
out anemia, and a treadmill has been scheduled.

I have been taking Fosamax since last November and had no problems with it.
Because I take insulin, some days I couldn't take the Fosamax because my
blood sugar was low and I needed to eat something when I got up. That
happened for about 5 days in a row, and I started feeling better. When I
started taking the F-max again, I started feeling bad again. Meanwhile, I
was reviewing everything that had gone into my mouth, wondering where I
might possibly be getting some hidden gluten. After talking with my doc, I
discontinued the Fosamax and felt better within two days. In looking at the
refill dates, my bad spell probably started when I had the Fosamax refilled
in March.

Has anybody else had or suspected such a problem? Fosamax is made by Merck,
and I know there have been statements on this list that they won't warrant
the gluten-free-ness of any of their products. As I said, I hate to raise
this question, as I suspect there are many of us who have CD-induced
osteoporosis and should be taking Fosamax. Any answers/ suggestions,
anybody?

Sue de LC

Susan Pieper/Las Cruces, [log in to unmask]
THE LAW OF REQUISITE VARIETY: The person who has one more alternative than
the number of obstacles s/he faces eventually will triumph. (Anon.)