From:
June Brettler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2010 21:35:47 EDT

The one thing I give the Times credit for on this issue is debunking the
current notion that is gaining strength  that everyone can benefit  from a
gluten-free diet.  This is a disservice to celiacs and others who  need to be
gluten free.  I am concerned that we are going back to the days  when it was
viewed as a fad diet.  Restaurants and other places and people  take your
needs much less seriously when they think it is the "diet of the  month".

As for people who don't need to be on a gluten free diet, on average, if
one substitutes gluten- free bread and other baked goods for  gluten
-containing ones. it is a less healthy diet.  It is lower  in fiber and protein and
higher in fat.  In talking to people when I  purchase gluten-free foods I
have found more and more people who are on the  diet for no reason and have
ridiculous  notions of what it  means.  One woman told me that wheat is not ok
unless it is whole  wheat.  And there are many people  who think spelt is
ok.

June in NYC