From:
Amy Blumenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:18:16 EST

A recent visit to the dentist with my 7 year old celiac daughter, and today's
post from Deb in CT who can't get a response from the manufacturer of
orthodontic mold-making material, prompt me to make a more general request for
information (or a source of information) on the gf status of dentists'
materials.

We have commercial food lists, and pharmacy guides, and this wonderful list has
provided lots of information on cosmetics and shampoos.  But the dentist's
office remains, to me, a shady mystery.  I have learned to take Tom of Maine
toothpaste for the hygienist to use, as well as unpowdered gloves.  But what
is the status of the flavored fluoride treatment?  The dentist wants to put
sealants on her molars:  gf or not?  The orthodontic mold question has come up
for us, too.  Fillings have not been an issue for us yet, but it would be good
to know in advance about gf filling materials, gf numbing agents, etc.  Do
flavored dental flosses pose any risk for celiacs?  If anyone on this list
works in the dental field and/or has any information or guidance on the gf
status of products commonly used in dentists' offices, you would provide a
great service to many people if you would post what you know.  If you reply to
me personally, I will gladly summarize to the list.

Thanks so much,
Amy in Ohio