From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 23:47:03 -0400

My recent post regarding Kroger's dark brown sugar seems to have caused
some confusion regarding the term "Kosher for Passover".  I think I can
best clear up the confusion with a few paragraphs from _Gluten-Free
Living_, March/April 1996, page 5:

--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--
Foods marked "Kosher for Passover" are guaranteed to be gluten-free as
long as the list of ingredients does not include matzo or any form of
matzo.  In fact, the inspection by special rabbis that such food is
subjected to in order to qualify for the label "Kosher for Passover" is
the closest thing celiacs will ever get, at least today, to having their
food "certified" as gluten-free.

It is important that all three words, "Kosher for Passover", appear.
Some foods are labeled "Kosher" year-round, meaning they have been
deemed fit or proper for comsumption by observant Jews.  "Kosher"
foods may be gluten-free (read the label), but they are not guaranteed
to be gluten-free.  When "Kosher for Passover" is actually printed right
on the label (not on an additional stick-on label over the original
label), and the list of ingredients does not include matzo in any form
or an unidentified flour, the product is guaranteed to be gluten-free.
--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--

So if a product is labeled "Kosher for Passover", you still need to look
at the ingredients for "matzoh" (which can be spelled 6 different ways)
and also look for cake meal.  My understanding is, that if an item is
labelled "Kosher for Passover", and the ingredients listed on the
package do not include "matzoh" or "cake meal", then it is gluten-free
and safe for celiacs.

In my previous post, I mentioned that Domino's brown sugar (both light
and dark) is labeled "Kosher for Passover" on the package.  Since
neither matzoh or cake meal are in the list of ingredients on the
package, that means Domino's brown sugar should be gluten-free.

Here is some further information, excerpted from a previous post:

--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--=====--
Date:         Sun, 2 Feb 1997 10:10:05 +0200
From:         Sharon Marcus <[log in to unmask]>

A VERY IMPORTANT RULE: DO *NOT* ASSUME THAT KOSHER - PARVE or any other
Kosher connotation of Kosher means "no wheat".  There is no connection
to wheat here.  Kosher means that it has been approved for consumption
by the Rabbinate and contains no animal product that is forbidden by
Torah (Jewish Law), like pork, shell fish, etc. and that even if it does
contain a product of a kosher animal, it is not combined in any way with
a milk product - Beef Stroganoff, for instance would not be kosher.
Parve only means that the item has neither milk nor meat in it...

...Kosher for Passover only means that there is no unsupervised flour
(wheat or otherwise) that went into the making of the product.  B
unsupervised, I mean that moisture did not get into the food item so as
to cause it to rise, ferment, etc.  This does not mean that the product
contains no wheat.  The kosher for Passover item may have matza flour in
it which, itself is made from wheat flour, only the production being
supervised.  However, many Kosher for Passover items are indeed GF
because in the "starches", they don't use wheat flour (unless matza
flour is stated), they use potato flour - a favorite substitute.  So
what I do, is stock up on these kosher for passover soups and use them
all year round.  (I still read labels carefully.)

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused, and I hope this post
helps to make things more clear.

Jim Lyles ........ <[log in to unmask]> ........ Holly, Michigan, USA