From:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 11:55:48 -0700

Hello,

Sorry it's taken a month to summarize the responses I
got to my query.  I've had some setbacks, but through
careful dietary monitoring have finally determined
that potatoes (of all things!) appear to be the final
(I hope) dietary culprit for me.

I wrote in May that I had experienced remarkable
relief from migraine, dermatitis, acid reflux, memory
loss, brain fog and swollen joints (I think I had left
out insomnia) since going GF, but had discovered that
I had similar reactions to dairy, soy and peanuts.  I
had also wondered if anyone else had experienced
symptoms that I had had throughout my life:  general
tension and stiffness in muscles and joints, and
confusion, headaches and irritability brought on by
exposure to the sun.

I got 30 responses.  A couple of people offered advice
on how to manage my diet (very helpful), and some had
information on food group relationships that were also
very useful to me (for instance, that peanuts are not
actually nuts).  The rest said that they, too, had
experienced all or some of the same symptoms:

3 - had similar symptoms

4 - had also experienced other food reactions
(including migraine triggered by dairy)

5 - had severe bone, joint and/or muscle pain

2 - had reactions to the sun

4 - had migraines

3 - experienced bloating

3 - experienced mental confusion and/or memory loss

Other symptoms included irritability after eating,
extreme fatigue, acne, miscarriages and infertility,
hair loss, hearing loss, weight gain, and diarrhea.

In reading peoples' stories, I am particularly
impressed with how much we have suffered and how often
we have been misdiagnosed and/or mistreated!  Thank
you for all of your responses.

The EnteroLab results on myself and my family have
come in since I first wrote.  They indicate that we
are all gluten intolerant, as well as casein
intolerant.  Fortunately, the malabsorption problems
are apparent in only me.  I am very grateful to have
this information and be able to change the future for
my kids!!

Thanks for all your help!

Deborah in OKC

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com