From:
Jessica R Iselin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica R Iselin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:45:57 -0500

Has this happened to any of you?

I am a healthy 22-year-old female and a recent college graduate. Since my
coverage under my parent's health insurance has expired, I started
researching reasonably priced insurance plans in the Boulder, Colorado area
and came across Kaiser Permanente. I filled out their detailed past
medical history questions online. Despite my telling them that I have a
gluten-intolerance (aka: Celiac Disease), the rest of my history showed
that I am a perfectly healthy young adult.

Yesterday they sent me a note telling me that my application "does not
meet the requirements for Health Plan membership." They also said that
"Unfortunately" my "medical history did not meet the underwriting criteria
required to receive coverage...Decisions made by the Medical Review
Committee are final and there is no appeal process." That's all.

Is this a common occurrence? Are some health insurances just ignorant?
Should I be lying on my application by calling Celiac Disease a wheat
allergy? I don't think a person with a peanut or milk allergy would be
turned down for coverage.

I just wanted some input to make sure I'm not overreacting before I wrote
Kaiser an angry letter. Maybe I am missing something. Thank you for any
help or suggestions.

-Jessica
 Boulder, Colorado