Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 18:19:03 -0700

Hello Friends,

Well, I have recenty been to a G.I. that is supposed to be very
knowledgable in celiac and also have consulted with a doctor that follows
natural means instead of the normal prescription/surgery and he too deals
with others that are celiac.    However, some of what both have said leads
me to now check with my friends on the celiac list.  First of all know that
I am very much improved since going gluten free.  No more diarreah,
swelling, bloating or lymph gland swelling!  I am so thankful.  The Lord
has had mercy!  My problem now is that all I am able to eat is red meat,
sometimes chicken, some fish, turkey, and sometimes green beans.  The G.I.
wanted to do what was called a hydrogen breath test but I am so terribly
hypoglycemic that I couldn't physically do it.  He also has mentioned doing
an endoscopy.  Now, here is my first question poured out to all of
you.  Since I have been gluten free since Dec 1 there probably will not be
any signs of celiac right?  He said if I was that bad then he should be
able to see something still.

1. How long after going gluten free will a test be inacurate?

He also thinks that maybe I may be missing an enzyme to break down sugars
and thinks this will tell him if that is so.

The other doctor says I have leaky gut.  He says that he has worked with
other celiacs and has never seen anyone not be able to eat food because of
celiac.  How many of you are out there that couldn't eat many foods before
going gluten free or maybe still couldn't for a while afterwards until your
gut had repaired?  Or maybe some that even yet are not able to eat foods
because of celiac?

2. Is there an inability to eat foods that is tied in with celiac?

I really would like to hear from you as it might help these doctors to help
others and maybe even to help me better!

Also, has anyone experienced needing more enzymes to digest sugars?  Where
have you gotten them?  I found that if they prescribe something called
sucrade or sucrase it will cost  $640.00 for a tiny little bottle!  We
can't afford that and our insurance does not pay for it.  Are there any
other options?

The more natural doctor has put me on a drink that consists of echinacia
root, licorise root, comfrey root and syberian ginsing.  It is to help heal
my gut.  Also something from Allergy Research that has stevia, slippery
elm, L-glutamine, msm, glandular, and is gluten free.  He wants me to see
how these things do and then if there is no improvement we go for the
endoscopy with the other doctor.

So, how about your imput on my number 1 and 2 and then tell me what you
think about my direction.

I appreciate all your help as always...you are special friends!!  Nancy in Texas