From:
Diana Day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diana Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:03:20 -0400

I'd like to thank everyone who sent me ideas for recipes. It's amazing
what a resource this list is, and how caring the people are. I really
appreciate your help. There were so many ideas that I'll have to
summarize in two parts:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A number of people wrote recommending the SCD, or Specific Carbohydrate
Diet. This is from the Austin SCD Group:

Check out www.pecanbread.com  It's a Specific Carbohydrate Diet website
for Autistic children and will be free of those things. Some recipes
may have tomatoes, but you can leave them out.

FYI:  I've followed hundreds of lives of Celiacs for over 5 years and
find they typically get somewhat better when they get off gluten; but
become worse again over time. I believe they stay unhealthy on a GF diet
because they indulge in fast foods or packaged GF foods (which are
loaded with sugars/starch and have little to no nutritients) rather than
nourishing their bodies with whole, natural, nutrient dense, healthy
foods.

Since the immune systems of those of us with intestinal problems have
been so compromised from malabsorbing nutrients, it only makes good
sense to focus on the best nutrition . . i.e. organic foods,
antibiotic-free dairy & meats, chicken, etc. Please go to
www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info and look at the research THAT'S ALREAD
BEEN DONE on the relationship of intestinal bacteria and foods . . . and
learn how to get completely well.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I recommend the cookbooks by Carol Fenster, Ph.D.   They all have
appendices with good substitutes listed.
Go to her website at www.savorypalate.com.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
If you go to www.amazon.com and search on the term 'allergy cookbook',
you'll find several cookbooks.  I bought one - the food was not that
great, but given the limited things I could eat, that was not
surprising.  The allergy cookbooks will give you a starting point.

Another suggestion is to investigate dishes from other countries. My
husband is from the Phillipines and a lot of Phillipino food is gf/df/cf
- so a Phillipino cookbook might be a good investment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````
There is a site on the BBC food website which allows you to choose
recipes without allergens. The link is
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/advanced_search.shtml
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
I am allergic to tomatoes and potatoes also.  I have found that canned
pumpkin can be substituted for some things that I once used tomatoes
for.  Such as chili, canned pumpkin, sauted onions, garlic seasoning,
broth and anything else you may want to use.  Also, I substitute many
rice dishes now in place of potatoes.  One is beaten egg whites in
cooked rice and fry it in patties and it tastes like tator tots.
Are you familiar with https://www.namastefoods.com
<https://www.namastefoods.com/> ? I believe
their mixes fit your criteria.
I like The Allergy Self Help Cookbook, by Marjorie Hurt-Jones.   Great
book
in my opinion because she uses more healthful ingredients to make
things.  I liked her philosophy.