From:
Matteo Richiardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 14:30:29 +0100

Hi everybody,
this is a summary about gluten in spices:
- MCormicks. They are up on what gluten is and they say all of their pure
spices are gf except their curry powder which is not gf.. Other mixes may
not be, too.
- Mr. spice has a curry sauce that is very good and all his sauces are GF
- In the UK somebody said to have had no problems with the bags of whole
spices
marketed by "Rajah" and indeed have never actually had any
problems which we can pinpoint on herbs and spices as sold
pure.  He often buy from bulk containers in our local health
food shop, as he trust the owner. Same guy said no problems with any
of the Schwartz and supermarket own brand spices and herbs either.
According to him, in the States there seems to be a problem that some
producers mix their ground spices with wheat flour as an extender.  This
does not appear to be a problem in the UK.

Thanks a lot.

Matteo Richiardi