From:
Lynne Mircheff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynne Mircheff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2019 13:23:53 -0800

I know I can’t eat any oats—gf or not—without a reaction, and other people are the same. In Australia and New Zealand oats are not considered gluten free because they have the gluten protein avenin. See below:
https://www.ceres.co.nz/blog/no-oats-are-not-gluten-free-heres-why/
NO, OATS ARE NOT GLUTEN FREE – HERE’S WHY

Posted on July 21, 2016 by Ceres Organics
There’s a lot of confusion around oats and whether they are actually gluten free or not – well, oats are not gluten free. To understand why, we’ll look at what gluten actually is, Coeliac versus non-Coeliac gluten sensitivity and legal definitions for labelling here and globally.

What is gluten anyway?

Gluten is used to describe a prolamin protein fraction that affects those with Coeliac disease. This gluten fraction is called gliadin in wheat, hordein in barley, secalin in rye and it’s avenin in oats. And this is where there tends to be confusion with oats – which contain the protein avenin, a gluten protein.

So if you’ve ever seen products or recipes like ‘gluten free oats’ or ‘gluten free cookies’, this refers to oats that have been grown and processed without coming into contact with wheat, barley or rye.

This sort of labelling is okay in the United States – more on that later. It isn’t the same here. Fact is avenin has been shown to cause inflammation and small bowel mucosal damage in some people with Coeliac disease. Even tiny traces of gluten can cause symptoms in those with coeliac disease. So based on the science, oats should not be consumed on a gluten-free diet.