Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:58:15 -0400

Thanks to everyone for responding to my soy question. I had 39 replies, 1 person saying they were not allergic and 3 only asking me if I had been tested for a soy allergy. The remaining 35 people all had reactions to soy in varying degrees from gastric symptoms to the same as gluten.
5 said they got diarrhea and 1 even vomits
3 said they react to the gf pretzels in the same manner I do
2 reacted to soy protein
5 react to soy milk and soy flour and 1 can drink the milk
2 said their reactions to soy oil were less than other products containing soy and 1 can only eat the soynuts
1 person gets headaches from soy
3 have the same symptoms as a gluten attack
1 had a worse reaction to soy than gluten requiring sedation
8 replied that they were allegic to soy in all forms
4 had a damaged thyroid they believe caused by soy
1 mentioned that without a gallbladder you can't digest soy
Soy products those allergic can tolerate include:
temph, soysauce, Bragg Liquid Aminos, tofu, edamame
In addition several people pointed out that soy is genetically modified and not good for you. It is not the health food they would like us to believe it is and now it is put in everything. Soy is also one of the top allergens. It seems very common for Celiacs to react to soy. I have stopped eating soy and casein for 3 days now and feel remarkably better. I do still eat corn products but seem to be okay for now with them. Thank you all again!
Terri in Northern Virginia