From:
Heather Cline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 18:00:13 EDT

Hello Everyone!

Thank you to all who responded to my query.  I recently asked whether anyone
experienced dry eyes prior to being diagnosed with celiac disease.  I received
almost 50 responses.  A special thanks for all the concern and encouraging
words for my sister-in-law.  She is receiving ongoing medical care from
qualified medical experts and is on the right track.  She plans to be tested
for CD.

Over 20 people experienced dry eyes prior to being diagnosed and responded
that the dry eyes disappeared or greatly improved once strictly GF.  Several
people were intrigued with the query and suffered from dry eyes but never
associated the two.  One responded that a gluten free diet had no affect on
the dry eyes.  Another reported the opposite problem:  watery eyes which was
linked to gluten consumption.

Many respondents are unable to wear contact lenses as a result of the dry
eyes.  Several people offered other possible causes of the dry eyes:  severe
anemia, Sjogren's syndrome, rosacea, thyroid disease, vitamin A deficiency,
rheumatoid arthritis, and basic food allergies.  Two wroted to say that there
is a connection between Sjogren's syndrome and CD.

Several recommended using preservative-free eye drops, such as "Allergran,"
"Bion Tears" and one by Bausch & Lomb (name unknown).

If anyone needs further information, please email me privately.

Regards,

Heather
Oklahoma City, OK
USA