From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 16:43:21 +0100

While in Alma Aty, Kazakhstan two weeks ago - and that's the end of the
earth, right? - I met a Peace Corps couple (retired folks) whose daughter
was diagnosed with celiac disease back in the 40's in NYC.  The doctor
said he could cure her if she ate a diet completely void of carbohydrates
for one full year.  He was a bear about the subject and left the mother in
tears after almost every visit to the office, but they stuck it out, and
after a year the daughter returned to a normal diet - now in her 50's she
continues to eat everything and has had no recurrence.  When that doctor
died there was a half page obit in the NY Times about his Celiac work.
Unfortunately I did not write down his name and can't recall, but I'll
contact them and find out.

You doubters may think it was an incorrect diagnosis.  Others may think
she will eventually develop symptoms or worse, but almost 50 years is a
long time of a regular diet with no complications.

After hearing that story and reading about Gottschall's book, I've ordered
the book and plan to consider giving it a try.  What's to lose?  Rice
bread isn't so good anyway!

I'll give you a report in a couple of months.  Gayle Kennedy