From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 07:55:41 -0400

Danelle Sorensen wrote:

> A couple of years ago, Baskin Robbins published a flyer indicating
> that many of their products were gluten free....However, the last
> time we picked up some PRALINES 'N CREAM....MODIFIED FOOD STARCH was
> an ingredient in the carmel!
>
> Here's the question:  have they changed their recipes, or did they
> ever really understand what is required of a gluten free product?

It is important to remember the distinction between items which are
definitely NOT GF and items which MIGHT NOT be GF.  Modified food
starch falls in the second category.  If it is made from wheat, then
it is not GF.  If it is made from tapioca, corn or potato, then it is
GF.  So if a manufacturer indicates that a product is GF, and the
product contains modified food starch, you would presume that the
modified food starch comes from a GF source.  If you wanted to be on
the safe side, you could call the manufacturer and ask about the source
of the modified food starch, just to be sure they didn't overlook it
as a source of gluten.  But I'd guess that most of the major
manufacturers are aware of the distinction between GF and non-GF
sources for modified food starch.

Regarding Baskin-Robbins, in a letter two years ago they specifically
stated that the modified food starch in their products was from a GF
source.  Contact info:

   Baskin-Robbins USA, Co.
   31 Baskin-Robbins Pl.
   Glendale, CA  91201
   (818) 956-0031
   (818) 243-7969 (fax)

Jim Lyles ........ <[log in to unmask]> ........ Holly, Michigan, USA