From:
"John E. Cornell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:29:01 EST

The big people in our family are wheat-eaters, it's the under 4 crowd
that's GF.  Occasionally we have well meaning friends who opine that such
and such a dish is GF and suitable for our GF kids.  Unless the cook is
celiac (or used to cooking for celiacs or other restricted diets) I
usually thank them for their efforts, and do not feed the food to my
kids, as I've learned that even very well educated people are amazingly
ignorant of what's in the ingredients they use in cooking.

On the flip side of this question, one of the other children in
play-group is casein intolerant, so when we have get-togethers which
involve food, we have to work extra hard to have things which are GF
_and_ casein free, or at least one dish from each category.  This Mom is
_very_ cooperative and she has taught us to cook a few casein free
dishes, while we've taught her a bit about cooking GF.  Absent this
extraordinary level of cooperation and communication, I don't trust foods
cooked by the average wheat-eater.  If the cook is not willing to discuss
ahead of time each and every ingredient in the recipe, I'm not willing to
feed it to my GF kids.

Regards,

John E. Cornell - Rockville, MD