From:
ABIGAIL NEUMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 17:33:11 -0500

I know there is still debate out about vinegar distilled from grains.  I want
to express my own concerns.  I am very sensitive to gluten.  I also have
known since 1985 that I have been sensitive to vinegar.  I was having
problems with yeast infections back then.  The doctor recommended that
I regularly douche with vinegar water to help keep the vagina more
acidic.  He wrote up the recipe.  After my yeast cleared up I tried this.  It
totally fried my vaginal walls.  It was extremely painful.  It made sex
almost impossible without extreme pain.  It took over a month to recover.
Perhaps other celiac women have had this experience.  It makes me
wonder how trusting we can be of the vinegar industry.  They are out to
make a buck.  I cannot believe it when they say that there could not
possibly be gluten in the vinegar after it is distilled because I know what
has happened to me.  I also cannot tolerate French's Mustard or Heinz
Ketchup.  I doubt that they are gluten free.  So it bothers me to think that
some people are trusting that they are, when in fact they may be harming
Celiacs.  Is there anyway to test a bottle of vinegar, to actually see under
a high powered microscope that it does indeed have the protein gliadin in
it?  Also, do we really know that it is the protein itself which bothers us,
or something else that is present when gliadin is present.  The question
is does distilled vinegar harm the small intestine or not.  Not can we tell if
it contains gluten.  Abigail