From:
Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 00:37:32 EST

Ensure.com lists all the flavors that are gluten free for all the different
types of Ensure. There are lots of different types of Ensure, so you may want
to find out what type your friend is going to use.
************
Ensure is gluten-free, as is Glucerna, the equivalent nutritional supplement,
for diabetics.
********************
Check on the Gluten-Free Product Lists at <A HREF="http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start">
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start</A>
********************
All flavors are gf. I called about a week ago because they came out with a
new flavor/type. They are handy when in a hurry or you don't want to eat out
on a shopping trip just as a 'hold-over'. I find the wild berry the best
flavor.
********************
Ensure (all variations) is g-f and lactose free, and kosher. :-) Vanilla,
chocolate and strawberry are all fine.
*********************
All ensure & glucerna drinks are gluten free. The bars are not. If the
individual is also diabetic or glucose intolerant they should consume
glucerna.
Hi Snow...go to http://www.ensure.com/ourproducts/ensure.asp
and type gluten free in the Search box. Each item listed will state whether
or not it's gluten free.
********************
There are many types, Ensure Plus, high protein, high calcium, balanced
nutrition, and the new one I just called the company about, high fiber with
fos (?). Within those categories there are different flavors. I'm not sure
what the 'Plus' means. I've never used it.  When I called the company, they
said they all were gf.  I suggest you call them yourself so you would feel
better about the answer.  Their phone is 1-800-986-8501 and they have a
website at www.ensure.com . I used to have a brochure from the company that
stated it was gf.  Now I get a coupon every once in a while with a 'snail
mail' newsletter on nutrition.  I found Ensure very useful after I had some
intestinal surgery.  When you call, ask them to send you literature.
***************
It's all GF.  I use Ensure and looked into its GF status before I started.
It's a good way of adding nutrition to one's diet.  Jackie in Maryland
*******************
All "Ensure" is gluten free.  Same with the brand "Boost".  I am a registered
dietitian and work in a hospital that carries both. I have product info on
both and it says "gluten free".  Hope that helps!
*********************
Ensure is gluten-free, probably all flavors (better to check their website at
www.ensure.com to be sure though.  Also read labels.).  While billed as
lactose-free, it does contain milk protein in the form of sodium caseinate.
******************
Most of the calories in regular insure come from fat. If your friend has lots
of damage (smooth insides), she may find that this extra fat might contribute
to diarrhea. Ensure high protein is available and has fewer calories from
fat.
******************
I believe the Equate brand (at Walmart) is also g.f. and costs less.
The Ensure rep who visited our home care agency told us that all Ensure
flavors are GF. Boost is GF and tastes better, though your friend might
actually prefer the taste of Ensure if she compares them; just want to offer
an alternative.
*************************
Carnation Instant Breakfast is just as effective, and cheaper, though the GF
status might not be as reliable.
**************************
I don't know about Ensure being gf, but my mother has found that she
tolerates Boost much better than Ensure plus she thinks it tastes better.
I would recommend you contact them to verify the current status (especially
if she wants any of the high protein, etc types). Last time I checked the
regular flavors were all ok EXCEPT for Chocolate Malt.  800-247-7893 8am to
430pm CT, weekdays.  <A HREF="http://www.meadjohnson.com">http://www.meadjohnson.com</A>
Most flavors of Ensure are gf, except any that have names like Chocolate
Malt. I called the company using the 800 number on their packaging and they
assured me Ensure was gf and df, then sent some coupons. Since then, however,
I've switched to Boost. There is something in Ensure that causes me some
problems (not
gluten).