From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 17:11:16 -0500

Today I called McCormick at 410-527-6000 and spoke to a customer
service representative named Diane, who was pleasant and glad to look
anything up. I asked about the gf status of their ground Turmeric and
Indian Curry Powder, and she checked the ingredients and assured me
they were both gluten-free. She added that McCormick's always
includes gluten and other additives to their labels if present, even
if they are not legally required to do so, because of so many serious
concerns over numerous allergens, and she named several examples. She
said they had a lot  of inquiries about gluten and wheat,
particularly, and McCormick's wants to be responsive to these
concerns among their customers.

She didn't know anything about the Canadian product mentioned in a
recent post, Hys Canada, unfortunately, but perhaps the East Coast
offices in the USA would not be involved with that product.

I called because I had gotten quite sick after eating curry I made
last weekend, and these were both newly opened bottles of spices,
everything else being something I've eaten before without problems.
However, some of my co-workers have been sick with a tummy upset too,
so maybe it was just a bug going around. If I get sick the next time I
use one of them, out they go! I would have to suspect
cross-contamination.

Another suspect is the wooden spoon I used. I've had it forever, and
maybe it has gluten still lurking in the pores. So I will replace all
my wooden utensils from my previous life; some others on the list have
voiced suspicions of wooden spoons, etc., and they aren't that
expensive anyway.

Good luck and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore