From:
Lisa S Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 1995 16:27:21 EDT

An old fashioned (but gf/cf) recipe.  I mentioned using this on a cake
and several people asked me to post it. Here it is, belatedly:

Seven Minute Frosting
---------------------
1 1/2 C sugar
1/3 Cup cold water
2 egg whites
2 tsp light corn syrup OR 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla

In the top of a double boiler, combine the sugar, water, egg whites, corn
syrup or cream of tartar and the salt. Beat with an electric mixer set at low
speed for 30 seconds, then set the pan over boiling water (the pan bottom
shouldn't touch the water).  Beating at high speed, cook the frosting for
about seven minutes, or until it's stiff and glossy.  Remove from the heat,
add the vanilla nd beat two more minutes.