From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:19:37 -0700

My original post concerned our ongoing search to find out the cause of
our daughter's continuing health problems; questions about lectins as a
possible source of her problems, a request for substitutes for potato
and corn starches in bread, and bread mixes or recipes that don't
contain potato or corn starches.  This is the first of two  summaries
that address lectins, other potential causes for our daughter's health
problems, and possible cures.  I have sent summaries concerning potato
and corn starch alternatives separately.

A brief explanation of our situation and what we have decided -- our
teen-age daughter, dx with celiac disease in 2003, is religiously
gluten free and also feels ill when she eats dairy, eggs, canola oil,
beans, acidic fruits and vegetables like tomatoes and citrus, sugar,
and most recently, potatoes.  She has tested as IgG allergic to dairy
and eggs in the past; currently takes enzyme supplement and probiotic.
We are currently seeking to remove potatoes from her diet.  Hoping that
she isn't developing more food allergies, I tried to identify an
underlying problem that would explain her ongoing symptoms (ranging
from headaches to stomach aches, joint pain, sinus infections, among
many others).  A doctor suggested she might have a problem with
lectins.    This seemed to fit, as the foods she reacts to contain
problematic lectins, and the list of symptoms associated with lectin
reactions seemed close to hers.  While doing a google search, I came
across a blog of a father of a child with behavior problems.  He tried
many different diets before deciding his son either had candida or an
intestinal bacteria.  I then looked into candida and discovered that it
also has a long list of symptoms that parallel those of our daughter,
and many of the foods that we know cause her problems are starches and
sugars (which feed candida).  After reading all your replies (thanks
everyone!!) and discussing it with her, we have decided for now to
eliminate potatoes and see how that goes.  If she still feels poorly,
we will seek to identify and eliminate more foods she is having
problems with until we see a clear trend among culprit foods (starches?
  lectins? food groups?).  I also made another appointment with our
nutritionist to get his take on this situation.

Thanks everyone!

Jackie in AZ

SUMMARY

LECTINS
No one indicated that they had experience with addressing lectins as a
health problem.  One person suggested a website that addresses lectins:
  www.dadamo.com  -- this is the website of the author of "Eat Right for
your Blood Type."

Several people indicated that they have problems when they eat
nightshade vegetables (eggplant, tomato, peppers, potatoes).
Nightshade vegetables also have been linked to exacerbating symptoms of
rheumatoid arthritis.

OTHER POSSIBLE CAUSES OF OUR DAUGHTER'S HEALTH PROBLEMS

(1) Small intestine bacterial overgrowth (discovered via scope when the
doctor was checking on the patient's villi).  Treated with Xifaxan and
then a powerful probiotic, VSL#3.  The patient  was on the antibiotic
for a month and then on 3 sachets a day of the probiotic for a month;
now takes one sachet a day.  By the end of two months, able to tolerate
many more (but not all) foods.

(2)  If you have one allergen really sensitizing your body, then
sometimes you react to all kinds of things that you would not be
allergic to in the
absence of the really bad thing.

(3) Eosiniphillic Esophagitis -- It was thought to be extremely rare
(similar to CD), and the docs are now realizing that it is not as rare
as once thought.
  Pediatric GI said she is now diagnosing at least one case a week!
Basically, what you and I are experiencing with our kids is what it is:
the
continual development of additional allergies. This diagnosis has been
on the table in our family for almost three years, but never confirmed.
Until
recently we have stumped the best docs in the country (Hugh Sampson,
pediallergist in NYC - top rated - included).

(4)  Salicylates:  Do a Google for more info.

(5)  Dysbiosis.  This is highlighted in “Diagnosis Unknown” by Randy
Smith.  Another book that I recently stumbled on was “the Food Allergy
Survival Guide” by Melina, Stepaniak, Aronson.

(6)  Toothpaste containing potassium nitrate or acid surpressor.

(7)  GMO modified soy: The majority of the conventional soy (oil plus
tofu, proteins, etc.) is GMO Monsanto.  The genetic modification added
genes from the petunia family to the soybean.  Since petunia is a
nightshade, the soy thereby has nightshade contamination.  Organic &
non-GMO soy is OK.

(8)  Lymphatic exhaustion (see # 9 under possible approaches to take in
Summary 2 for Lectins).

(9)  Oxalates.  Foods high in oxalate give me tremendous bone/muscle
pain as well as joint pain. Do a google for Rowan's Resources to read
up a little and find a list of the oxalate level in foods.

(10)   Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome

(11)   Lymes Disease.