From:
Andrew Amrich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 13:23:41 -0400

Hi all,

I received many responses to my question about estrogen shots. Let me
start off by saying because of my many sensitivities to ingredients I am
unable to tolerate anything much in a pill form. So that is why my
doctor wanted to start shots. He also did not seem too overly concerned
about my sensitivities (a new doctor for me) and I'm not sure I am
comfortable with him. I may change that part down the road. For now he
is what I have and that is why I needed your advice or experiences. So
here is a summary of them for anyone interested:

One person advised not to take estrogen without progesterone as there is
a higher risk for cancer. Two people said they don't take anything and
have no problems except hot flashes, which they took 500 mg of B6 at
night to stop them. Of those two one said that her mothers doctor agreed
that there was no real benefit to taking it and said they recently have
discounted the supposed "osteoporosis preventative" of HRT. I have not
heard this and have no proof of that, but I will be checking into it.
Osteoporosis is one of my main concerns. I am only 36 but my bones feel
96. I am unable to tolerate dairy or calcium supplements so I am worried
about this.

One other person said that they knew of many who disliked taking it.
Saying that it has high risk of weight gain, fluid retention and
moodiness. Fluid retention and moodiness are two things I could do
without!

One person does take estrogen without progesterone and has no problems
with it. I did have one response that said if I react to the shot then
I'll be sick for a whole month- I never thought of that thanks! And
finally I had a response from a woman who (and this made my decision)
said she took estrogen for years and tried to stop because of the breast
cancer risk,= but her dr. kept talking her out of it. until her annual
mammogram showed breast cancer-NOT a risk I want to take!

Thank you to everyone who responded. It really helped me to decide what
to do! I really appreciate your help!

Take care,
Dee